Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekend snack

We invited extended family over to play Wii on Saturday.


The Family really enjoys playing the Wii. We all have a good time and we laugh and laugh.


I especially enjoy playing Mario Kart!




I like my Mario Kart racing character to be Daisy.




When Daisy wins a race on Mario Kart she says, "I'm the best!" She says it in a very sing song kind of way. I love it!


Daisy gets to say that a lot when I play Mario Kart.


The Family doesn't want to play Mario Kart with me very often anymore. 


I think they're tired of hearing Daisy say, "I'm the best!" And they might be slightly offended by my need to do a victory dance every time Daisy says, "I'm the best!"


So, to appease everyone, and as a peace offering (bribe) I made caramel corn for our snack.


My friend Amy gave me this recipe.


It's so good!


I love when friends share their good recipes!


Speaking of friends sharing good recipes, my friend Jean sent me a book full of wonderful bread recipes to encourage my goal of becoming a good bread baker. Friends who encourage and share their recipes are a wonderful thing! I can't wait to make bread. I'm going to try one of the recipes this week!


Anyway...Caramel corn!


Air pop 1/2 to 1 cup corn kernels, depending on how much caramel coating you want. I like a lighter coating of caramel on my popcorn. I pop about 1 cup of kernels.


Spray a large roasting pan with Pam and add popcorn.


In a sauce pan combine 1cup firmly packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and 1/2 cup light corn syrup.




Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.




Once the mixture begins to boil, stop stirring and allow to boil for 4 minutes.



1 minute.


3 minutes!



4 Minutes!!


Remove pan from heat and add in 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.




 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.




And stir until well combined. Pour mixture over popped corn.




Doesn't that look good?


Stir again. 


Place roasting pan in 250˚ oven for 45 minutes, stirring caramel corn every 15 minutes to coat all of the popcorn.




Serve!


Now everyone will be so grateful for the wonderful snack that they will gladly play Mario Kart with you even though you do a victory dance after each race you win!




If you can get them to keep their hands out of the caramel corn long enough to hold the Wiimote (Wii remote) that is!!


Christine


P.S. Still working on the 1000 piece puzzle. Will it ever end???

No comments: