Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Good Day For Stew

Another hazy, gloomy day.


I like it.


I have no explantation as to why, but I do.


Mind you I wouldn't want every day to be gloomy, but I do likes me a good stretch of gloomy, mopey weather. It puts me in a mind to do some cookin'! It apparently causes me to give up using proper english as well. hmmm


Today it gives me a hankering for stew! 


The Family loves this meal! Everyone asks for seconds. Everyone! It gives me great satisfaction, because everyone loving the same meal is not the norm.


While this meal is delicious, it does take some time. It's easy to make! Don't distress!! You just have to be ready to commit the time to make it. It's not a toss everything in the pot, brush off your hands, and let it cook away kinda meal.


Maybe I shouldn't have started with that.


Hello? Anyone still here? Drat! Well, I'll continue on for all who are curious enough to come back once the anxiety has passed.


Begin by browning 1 pound of peeled, pearl onions (in a pinch I've also used one small yellow onion, diced) and 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces, in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat.




Remove onions and carrots to a bowl and set aside.




In remaining oil brown 1 pound or so of stew meat. The Family never complains if there's more beef. They will point out if there is less!




Once beef is browned stir in 32 ounces of beef broth, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme.




Heat pot to boiling. Scrape brown bits! Cover, reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.


Now do not walk away! Start peeling and chopping 3 pounds of potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Also chop 3 celery ribs.




When the beef has simmered for 20 minutes add the potatoes and celery, as well as the onions and carrots previously set aside, to the pot.




Bring stew to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer covered for 40 minutes.


Now, once you have the oven preheating for the rolls you want to have with the stew, because stew is sooo good with a nice crusty roll, you may walk away...until you need to return to place the rolls in the oven so they will be ready in time too. Occasionally I have forgotten the rolls. It happens.


Once the stew has simmered for 40 minutes, blend 2 tablespoons flour with 2 tablespoons water.




If you don't have one of these hand dandy shakers you can use a small jar...works just as well.




Blend the water and flour well and add to stew. Boil stew for about a minute. This will make your stew nice and thick. Mmmmmm




Perfect! 


Now the only question is...bowl or plate?


The Family likes to use plates.




Stew is not easy to photograph on a plate, but it is easy to toss a pat of butter on top and then mash all of the potatoes and carrots together and that's how we like it. Again I have no explanation. We just like it!


Christine

No comments: