Friday, February 17, 2012

Taking on a Challenge

I have begun to read the book Breaking Free by Beth Moore.




Beth Moore purposes to teach women how to love and live on God's word through the ministry she founded in 1994 called Living proof Ministries


I pretty much got that line right out of her bio. It's completely true! I have done a couple of her Bible studies, Daniel and Esther. I learned so much. I found both studies to be thought provoking, and spirit renewing! I came away from the studies with a greater understanding of Daniel and Esther's reliance on God and how to apply the examples of their lives, as recorded in the Bible, to my own today.







Beth is funny and deeply caring. She has a genuine heart for the Lord, and for helping women grow in their faith. Hence my interest in reading her book Breaking Free. That and the title grabbed me. 


Breaking free! WOW!!


There are things in my life, habits, negative thoughts, fears and worries that I would love to break free from. I feel I manage most of these things pretty well, but I don't think I have really trusted the Lord to set me free from them. Being free from them would be far better! 


I agree with Beth. "Christ calls us to a place of breaking free. He woos us to the place of absolute freedom!"


I am so excited to read this book and better understand what scripture says about the freedom God calls us to!


Here's where the challenge comes in.


It has me a little nervous!


So much so that I wasn't sure I wanted to share it with you because...what if I fail? Then I acknowledged that thinking I might fail was exactly the kind of thinking I want to be free of! So I'm tellin' ya! Even though it's making my palms sweat! And no matter how much I gulp as I write!!


Here goes.


Beth Moore is big on memorizing scripture. She's very wise that one! Psalm 119:11 tells us how important scripture memorization is. Your word have I hid in my heart, that I may not sin against You.


When we know what God calls us to do because we have committed His word to memory we are less likely to wander from Him and His commands.


When we commit His word to memory we know how God wants us to treat one another. Ephesians 4:32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.


When we commit His word to memory we know that there is nothing to fear. Isaiah 41:10  Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.


When we commit His word to memory we know that though we fall short of His glory and goodness He continues to love us and show His mercy. Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and MERCY shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


And when we commit His word to memory, we will remember the things God has promised to us. Very helpful for my goal of searching out and knowing God's promises isn't it?


I am taking up Beth's challenge...encouragement to memorize the several scripture passages she refers to in her book. I also want to begin to commit to memory those promises I'm seeking out. Yikes! It's been a while, a long while since I made a significant effort to memorize a lot of scripture.


My brain was a lot younger the last time!


I think it's going to be well worth my effort though!


This is where Breaking Free begins.


Isaiah 61:1-4 (1-4 oh my!)


"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the poor; he has sent Me to heal the broken hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn, to console those who mourn in Zion, to give beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, that they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified." And they shall rebuild old ruins, they shall raise up former desolations, and they shall repair ruined cities, the desolation of many generations.


It's a lot to commit to memory! But what a beautiful promise to know in one's heart!


Jesus came to preach good tidings! He came to bring comfort! He came to set us free! Well worth remembering! 


So here I go. I'm taking up the challenge to begin memorizing more scripture! Say a prayer for my poor old brain would you?


Christine



1 comment:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Good for you, Christine! I joined the Siesta Memory Challenge she did last year on the blog. It was a HUGE commitment, and honestly, I way overcommitted (what a surprise) and chose Scripture passages instead of verses, which made it harder for me. Because yes. Older brain.

But it has been worth it! This year, I'm reviewing the verses I memorized last year. I'm simultaneously discouraged by how much I've forgotten already (I was a crammer in college; quick study, no long term benefit), and by how much of the TRUTH of the verses has sunk into my heart.

You go girl! It's worth it.