Monday, April 30, 2012

Banana Bread

Once again, it's a gloomy day.


It puts me in a mood for baking! 


It also reminds me that a few weeks ago, on another gloomy day, I had made banana bread with the plan that I would share the recipe with you, but then I got distracted. 


I think it was the Reese's peanut butter cup eggs that distracted me.




Wait! Maybe it was the blooming crab apple tree that distracted me!




Then again, it may have been the pillow making. hmmm




Whatever it was, I was distracted, and I forgot to post the recipe for my banana bread. Actually it's my Mom's banana bread recipe. The one she used to make when I was growing up. It's delicious! 


This bread doesn't count toward my goal to learn to make bread because it isn't a yeast bread, but my bananas were overripe and banana bread is very comforting on a gloomy day. So...




Banana Bread


In a mixing bowl combine 21/2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 31/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 3/4 cup milk, 1 cup mashed bananas, and 1 egg.


That's right, it doesn't look pretty but just dump it all in a bowl and mix it together!




Pour the mixture into a greased and floured 9x5 bread pan.




I know, that doesn't look much better.


Bake at 350˚ for 55 to 65 minutes. (until tester comes out clean)


Now this looks much better!




Cool for a few minutes in pan. Turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.


Or just slice into it while it's still warm. Whichever.




Add a little butter, pour a glass of milk, and you have the perfect afternoon snack! 


Wishing I had a few more overripe bananas right about now!


Christine

No comments: