Friday, May 25, 2012

Not a Perfect Mom

I am not a perfect mom!


I did not get a manual. What's with that!??


I've made lots of mistakes. I would list them, but I don't want you to waste your long weekend reading a list!


I do try though. 


I want to be a good mom. I long to be a good mom. I hope that I'm making a positive impact on my children! I suspect, that in this, I'm no different than any other mom. And that is why I am going to share this with you.


A quick disclaimer...I am not trying to toot my own horn! Read the above! (ha ha I said toot!)


I was taken by wonderful surprise when Miss Sofia gave me a printout of the short essay she had written for school about a person she admired. When I read it I thought, "Wow! Mistakes and all, I am making a positive impact on my girl! Yay!" Then I cried! Then I decided I wanted to encourage all of the moms, and the dads too, who really want to do what's best for their children, and sometimes wonder if their efforts make any difference.




Miss Sofia's essay...


There are many people I admire, but for now I will write about my mom.


The first reason why I admire my mom is because she is a good role model. She is very devoted to God and is always trying to set a good example for me and my sister. She is very caring, and wants to help people in need. (Here I would like to interject, Wow! She's been watching!)


Secondly, she is always there for my family. She is always finding ways to get us to hangout together, either through playing board games, video games (Yeah, I do like those!) or going for a bike ride. She also takes care of us when we are sick or just need a shoulder to cry on. (I feel much better about making them spend this time together now, even though they complain sometimes and say, about playing a game together, "Do we have too?" They actually like it. They really like it!! I won't tell anyone though. Well I'm telling you guys, but that doesn't count.)


Finally, I admire the fact that she is always willing to listen, whether I need to talk about the hard day I had or how excited I am about the upcoming school event. Also she is willing to talk and cheer me on. (sniff!)


These are only three of the reasons why I admire my mom. I admire her because she is a good role model, she is always there to take care of our family, and she is always willing to listen.


My girl did not write about the mistakes I've made. She did not write about the things I could do better. She wrote about the effort she sees me make to be the best I can be for her and our family. This is so encouraging to me! So let me pass it on to you! 


They see! Your children see your efforts! They speak louder than your failures! So keep on moms and dads! Don't ever stop trying, and you will make a positive impact on your children!


I'm also going to suggest we take away this lesson...let's allow our children's efforts speak louder than their failures too!


Christine










No comments: